Who should file Form 1040NR-EZ ?
Eligibility to file Form 1040NR-EZ – US Income Tax Return for Non Resident Aliens (International Students) with No Dependents:
1. Your income in the year is more than $ 3500
2. You do not claim any dependents (wife, child) on your Tax return
3. Your only source of Income is from Salary (Form W-2) , Taxable refunds of State and Local Income Taxes (Form 1099-G) and
Scholarship or Fellowship Grants (Form 1042-S).
4. Your taxable income should be less than $100,000.
It is a simple Non Resident Tax Return, and filed by most International students and Non Resident aliens.
Should I file Form 8843 along with my Form 1040NR-EZ ?
In general, Non Resident Aliens under Tax Exempt status, need to file Form 8843 along with their Tax return, to inform the IRS about their Tax Exemption.
International Students (F, J, Q, M ) for upto five years , should file Form 8843, along with Form 1040NR-EZ.
Teacher or Trainee (J, Q visa) holders for upto two years , should file Form 8843 along with Form 1040NR-EZ.
A Non Resident Alien with No Income need not file Form 1040NR-EZ, but should file Form 8843.
I do not have Social Security Number for myself or my dependents. What should I do?
File Form W-7, to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
Should I file Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR ?
File Form 1040NR if you,
1. are a resident of Canada, Mexico, South Korea, an Indian Student and wants to claim dependents.
2. have received Dividends or have US Stock Transactions.
3. want to claim Itemized deductions for better tax savings.
Documents needed before using Form 1040NR-EZ Tax Software:
1. Passport with I-94 to fill Immigration related information
2. Social Security Card to fill the Social Security Number
3. Form W-2 – Wage and Salary Information
4. Form 1042-S – Statement of Scholarship or Fellowship from the University (if applicable)
5. Form 1099-G – Taxable Refunds or Credits from State or Local Income Taxes (if applicable)
6. Form 1098E – Qualified Student Loan Interest Statement (if applicable)
Documents to mail the IRS :
1. Completed Form 1040NR-EZ
2. W-2 Form(s)
3. Form 8843 (if applicable)
IRS Mailing Address:
The Department of Treasury,
Internal Revenue Service Center,
Austin TX 73301-0215